Elastomeric silicone spacer for metatarsophalangeal joint arthroplasty of the first radius of the foot (MTP1). The device consists of a silicone body that replaces the MTP1 joint, restoring its natural dorsiflexion movement, and two titanium alloy metal rings (grommets) that act as an interface between the spacer and the bone abutments of the phalanx and metatarsal head.
- Distal stem, with trapezoidal section, to ensure anatomical adaptation with respect to the medullary canal of the phalanx;
- Proximal stem, with rectangular section, to help adaptation to the intramedullary metatarsal canal.
The metal rings (grommets), positioned above the stem extensions, act as a support for the silicone joint spacer, where the latter interfaces with the surgical sites excavated in the two bone abutments, improving the stability of the spacer inside the medullary canal, by means of surface reliefs introduced in their geometry at the interface with the bones. The presence of a hinged joint, between the stem extensions, allows to restore the dorsiflexion movement of the toe and avoids contact between the rings during movement.
Indications for use
- Hallux rigid or limited
- Painful rheumatoid arthritis
- Arthritis in abducted hallux valgus
- Painful or unstable joint, as a result of previous surgery
- Joint surfaces destroyed
- Ankylosed or limited joints